Repairing the Burnt-Out Socket On an Altman Q-Lite

In December, while preparing our black-box space for end-of-the-semester acting and directing projects, my colleague Rick Goetz and I discovered one of the Altman Q-Lites that we use as work lights in that space was damaged.  Even though we lamp it only with 500W lamps (instead of the 1000W that it is rated for) one of the socket contacts was heavily pitted and scorched.

A quick check online yielded a pdf of the Q-Lites Parts List  which allowed me to identify the burned part as Altman 58-0040  I ordered a replacement part from one of my favorite vendors Production Advantage  (Catalogue # SOSR-0042–Altman Socket, RSC Front Flange, 42” Blue)  where the part cost $34.88 (plus shipping)

 

The burnt-out lead

The new lead

While the part arrived before the fall semester ended, I just got around to installing it.  The procedure was quite straightforward.

First I loosened 2 screws holding the gel frame holder housing in place and slipped the keyhole slots in the housing off the screws (these parts are not shown on the Q-Lite parts list referenced above).

Fixture with gel holder removed

Next, I removed the 2 screws holding the safety screen holder and the side reflector to the socket mount (again, the reflector is not shown on the parts list pdf)

Fixture with safety screen holder removed, side reflector resting in place

The removal of the 2 screws attaching the socket mount to the fixture housing allowed access to the socket which is attached, in turn, to the socket mount part with a pair of bolts and nuts.

The socket holder showing nuts & bolts holding socket in place

I had to remove the blue lead from the plug and to loosen the strain relief fitting where the cable joins the fixture in order to replace the burnt-out socket and the attached lead with the replacement part.

Strain relief on back of fixture

 The 42” lead attached to the replacement part was significantly longer than needed.  Furthermore, when the plug was initially installed, all of the leads were left too long to permit the cable sheath to extend far enough into the plug body for the built-in strain relief to adequately capture the cable and sheath.  Furthermore, the extra plate necessary to provide positive strain relief had been omitted when the plug was originally installed.

Old plug with new lead & showing failed strain relief

Consequently, I replaced the plug, re-cutting all of the leads to assure that the plug was securely attached to the 3 wires and the protective sheath.

New plug with shortened leads & effective strain relief

The reassembled and re-lamped Q-lite

Have fun!  But be safe!

SJM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: